Welcome to Hellertime!

My name is Zach Heller. You have stumbled across an area of the internet dedicated to anything and everything going on in my mind. I hope you are here because you want to be and not by accident, but all are welcome to check out what's going on. Take some time out of your busy day to see what I have to say, I think you'll enjoy your stay...

Saturday, July 7, 2007

FIFA U-20 World Cup

I am not the biggest of soccer/futbol fans, but I do realize a good thing when I see it. Last night, in the final game of the group stages at the FIFA U-20 World Cup, the USA defeated Brazil, one of the favorites in the tournament. The defeat all but knocked Brazil out of the competition and boosted the USA to the second round, advancing out of a difficult Group D.

I know that many people around soccer will say that Brazil mailed this one in, taking the USA team lightly. Analysts will not put much stock in the win, but I have to disagree. This is a huge statement in a country that has continued to put all its effort into every other sport, leaving soccer to die a miserable death. The way the up and coming players on the U-20 team is more like the quick pass, possession style game found in Europe than the sloppy control, long ball style reminiscent of the USA's weak showing at the World Cup a year ago. If this is a sign of things to come, that the talent on this team will continue to grow and push the USA national team to new heights, than I am very excited about this win. Congratulations to the USA U-20 team and good luck in the next round.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.