Welcome to Hellertime!

My name is Zach Heller. You have stumbled across an area of the internet dedicated to anything and everything going on in my mind. I hope you are here because you want to be and not by accident, but all are welcome to check out what's going on. Take some time out of your busy day to see what I have to say, I think you'll enjoy your stay...

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Dingers?!?!

In the wake of one of the most disappointing home run derby's in the history of baseball, I find that my home run craving is not fully satisfied. I have homers on the mind, and that is not a reference to the upcoming release of The Simpsons Movie, although I have been seeing a lot of trailers lately. I want to discuss the upcoming, record-breaking, home run by Barry Bonds that is likely to occur before the month is over.

This record is arguably the greatest in all of sports, the most career home runs by a single player. Babe Ruth at 714, Hank Aaron at 755, and now Barry Bonds at somewhere between 760 and 790. I never thought we would live to see the day. However, the truth is, we may live to see the day over and over again. If you pay attention to early career trends and expectations, I can see a few guys who are already eyeing the record that Barry Bonds will have soon. First, there is Alex Rodriguez. He already has 494 and is on pace to hit about 900 if he doesn't get injured. Then there is Albert Pujols, whose age can be called into question. He was the fastest player to 250 home runs and would technically be on pace to hit well over 700. And now Ryan Howard, who just broke Pujols' fastest to 100 record, proving that he is a major home run threat for the next generation. Other you notables include Prince Fielder, Miguel Cabrera, and even Justin Morneau. I guess what I'm saying here is, in an era of long balls, this record might be broken a couple times over. We may have another "I can hit 66", "I can hit 70", "but I can hit 73" on our hands. We could see 1000 home runs in our day. Instead of the elite 700 home run club, it might be the 900 home run club. But as with anything else, only time will tell...

No comments: